Before the event, I was seriously concerned about the turnout: little to no people equaled a failed event. There were several factors seemingly working against us such as the weather and the Saints game. The day dawned ominously, with gray skies and a cold wind. Rain was inevitable. So I approached the event with a touch of cynicism. My feelings did not affect my performance at the event. I was still happy to talk to anyone about my team’s board.

That feeling of cynicism was short-lived as the event continued on. We had a great turnout, much better than I had hoped. I had hoped to see more residents, however. The majority of people appeared to come from the nearby congregations as they let out. There appeared to be little in the way of foot traffic from inside the neighborhood itself. If we had to do it all over again, I would advocate trying even harder to be a presence in the community, to really get people invested in our event and our work. Perhaps if our site cleanup had taken place in stages across multiple weeks, we could have been a stronger symbol of community involvement; what better way to send a message that we care by being out there on site every week to do our part to combat blight and neglect?


I learned that the neighborhood is filled with many caring people. Many of the residents we talked to cared deeply about their community and the direction it was headed in. Their primary concern was the children; their welfare was top priority. Many people believe in recreational programs for children, in an attempt to teach them skills and keep them occupied, away from the negativity. I believe this goal is a primary concern for our design, something we can and must deliver on. I liked seeing people care about the future generations. Their care can make a difference for the future, hopefully dampening crime in the community.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments here...